The brutal budget long bus rides are one of the many things we learn to just deal with. It may be a dodgy 30 hour bus ride with no AC in the middle of summer with a driver whom is picking up every possible local from the side of the road for some extra cash. If you’re lucky enough it’ll be a sleeper bus, that way you can attempt to sleep although the roads (If there are any) will send you flying off the bed. As a backpacker, you learn to adapt to your surroundings and make the best out of the journey.
Here are some things you can do to help ease the pain of the ride:
- Read a book! As long as you don’t get car sick and it’s not too bumpy.
- Cancel out all the noise and listen to music.
- Watch a movie on your iPod.
- If you are with some friends, you can play a game to pass time just as quickly.
- Play any card game or even invent one.
- Talking with a local can be fun and you’ll learn a lot about their culture. You can attempt to talk. You’ll be amazed what you can do with hand signals.
- And of course, sleep!
- Then there’s the ever so popular backpacker Valium.
What are some of your favorite things to do on long bus rides to pass time?