About this website
This website is run and edited by myself, Michael Tieso, and contains the writings and experiences of my travels around the world. From 2008 to 2017, most of the content was focused around my travels. In 2018 it was refocused to include technology and development.
I’d like to inspire others to travel, influence you to travel to new places, eat different foods, and do activities you may have never known existed. I want this website to make you question your knowledge of the world and teach you something new from every part of it.
I started this site in December 2008 after a short backpacking trip to Canada. I felt inspired to share my experience and inspire others to do the same. After that, I saved money to take an extended trip around the world.
About Michael Tieso
In May 2009 I took on an epic journey to travel around the world. I traveled for several years living the nomadic life in different parts of the world while working online.
I was born and raised in New Jersey, USA. I have a half Argentinean and half Italian background. I’m a dual citizen of US and Italy. I currently live in Bologna, Italy.
- In May 2009 I left New Jersey on a one-way ticket to Beijing, China to travel around the world for a year. I had a vague idea of where I wanted to go but most of it was unplanned. The trip was supposed to last only a year but as I continued to travel I realized how much more I wanted to explore.
- I started a blog called Art of Adventuring in December 2008 to write about my travels. I loved writing but part of what kept me going was creating the site itself. I taught myself everything that had to do with WordPress. I would break the site just to see what would happen. I got into the code and experimented while teaching myself everything, all of which I did while traveling.
- I created plugins and themes for clients. I found myself helping other bloggers as I got more involved in the blogging community. I became a freelance web developer for several years and continued traveling.
- 2010 I taught English in Xi’an, China for a year.
- 2011 I started a business called Art of Travel Blogging.
- 2013 Art of Travel Blogging merged with Travel Blog Success. It was a success and often doubling or more in gross every year.
- I continued to build projects and businesses while I traveled.
- In April 2014 I took a full-time position at WooThemes to help support a very popular WordPress plugin called WooCommerce. I was later promoted from Support Team Lead to Developer Advocate for WooThemes. WooThemes was later acquired by Automattic.
- In August 2014 I moved to Seattle, Washington.
- 2017 my family and I moved to Bologna, Italy
- Q1 2018 I started on a new adventure.
Random things about me
- I’m a virtual reality advocate and try to be involved with the development of it.
- I’m a foodie and usually the focus of my travels. I will eat most things, especially if it’s a local specialty.
Have you seen my wife’s website yet? Why Wait to See The World