I had made a posted about why the Asus EEE 1000 is perfect for backpackers not too long ago. Before I purchased it, it was a long difficult process to decide if I even needed one.
Perhaps you’re creating a documentary around the globe and need the computer for video editing, storage, and burning. An online entrepreneur needs a laptop to continue traveling as that’s their source of money. Whatever the case is, it proves it’s entirely based on what you will be doing with it.
There are three important key points in deciding a laptop – weight, size, and cost. Weight is important because of course you’re carrying it all the time. Size because there’s only so much you can fit in your backpack. In cost you need to ask yourself, “Will I cry if I get this laptop lost/stolen/broken?” Purchase a laptop with the least amount of weight in the smallest size for the cheapest price.
Internet Cafes are available worldwide. You need to ask yourself if the computer available in Internet Cafes is enough for you. Keep in mind the places you will be traveling. You do not want to be seen playing games on your laptop in an area that’s going to attract people. Don’t scream “STEAL ME’. It’s best to keep the laptop locked up as often as possible. Also – Laptops for country backpackers would be useless as there’s nowhere to charge the laptop.
If you’re only going to use a laptop once a week or less, why bother bringing it? If you’re backpacking for only a few weeks, again why bother?
Pros for bringing a laptop
- If you make money online (blogging, surveys, etc). That money could be what is supporting you to continue traveling.
- No need to search for Internet Cafes.
- Blogging can be done in the comfort of your bed, beach, etc.
- Security issues using computers at Internet Cafes.
- Long term travel (1+ year’s). Internet café fees can start racking up depending where you are and how long you are using it over a long period of time.
Cons for bringing a laptop
- Weight: You feel every single step carrying it around.
- Takes up space: Living out of a backpack makes every inch of your backpack important. I can deal with weight but with space, there’s nothing you can do but get rid of things.
- You will also need to get power adapters for various locations
- Carrying a laptop becomes a liability that needs to be taken care of constantly.
There are many things to consider. As you can tell, there is no answer to the question if you should bring one. As for me, I have a website to update so you’ll find me using my Asus EEE everywhere I go.