I’ve finally been able to get a cost summary of how much I’ve spent. It would require way too much work to get it broken down by country though. The money took me throughout Asia, Australia, and South America. I know one things for certain, I’ve spent over the intended budget (Usually happens doesn’t it?) and I’m blaming it entirely on Australia and Buenos Aires (had to blame it on something). Though my plans are hardly a plan, originally I was supposed to go to Australia to work a year and then continue traveling after. Something told me however to go visit my family in Buenos Aires, Argentina for Christmas. Without work in Australia, it gets extremely expensive. The one and a half months in Australia put me over budget including the flight from Sydney to Buenos Aires.
A few tips before I begin… If you’re going to bring to a credit card, don’t or limit how you use it no matter how much you think you may need what you’re paying for. Spend your real money. For my next tip: be cautious with your next destination if you’re on a strict budget. Don’t end up in an expensive country with little money then have to pay even more just to get out. That’s where my poor planning murdered me.
I spent a grand total of $19,568.73USD from May 12th till April 7th.
$1,778.97 per month at an average of $60 per day. That’s more than expected for the destinations I’ve been to.
Why so much?
- Over $800USD for a one way flight from Sydney to Buenos Aires. It was last minute and I wanted to visit family.
- Canceled a flight (Stupid move) going from Singapore to India and changed it to Australia because I wasn’t feeling well in Singapore. Hospital visits and the works. Instead, I decided to visit a friend in Perth. Though I used Tiger Airways budget airlines, it got me throwing away money.
- Asia was cheap. I spent very little and did a whole lot. Once I got to Australia, I did very little and spent a whole lot more.
- I got scammed in Buenos Aires for $630USD on the deposit for my apartment. The landlord blamed me for a leak. I was supposed to get that money the day I left but he said the money was going to go to my Uncle who lives in Buenos Aires then to route to me and not to worry. That same day I was leaving for Salta up north and I actually trusted him including my Uncle. Well, in summary, he ran with my money and is now saying the leak was my fault. How’s a pipe breaking my fault? It’s his apartment, not mine – I only rented it. Bastard.
- I lived in Buenos Aires as my home base with an apartment for 4 months. I made frequent trips though to all the places around it. Somehow living there, I actually spent more than intended. Big cities can do that.
- Camera broke and I bought a new one for $300 in Sydney. Eventually that broke as well.
- Since I used my credit card a few months in, I started having to pay that per month. Not fun.
Though I could have done it cheaper, everything couldn’t have fallen more into place. It seemed as if someone up there was guiding me along to meet unforgettable people, eat delicious food, and see unbelievable sights. Everything was meant to be. Do I regret anything? Nope…
Coming up is where I spent that nice total of $19,568.73USD.