About this website
The website was formally called Art of Backpacking.
About Michael Tieso
I left my job in May 2009 to take on an epic journey to travel around the world. I realized though that the world is pretty big and that this journey would take much longer than expected. I’ve lived a nomadic life in different parts of the world while working online.
I’m Michael Tieso. I’m 29 years old and I love to travel. I was born and raised in New Jersey, USA. I have a half Argentinean and half Italian background. As a child, I visited Buenos Aires often.
I started this site in December 2008 after a short backpacking trip to Canada. I felt inspired to share my experience and inspire others to do the same. After that, I saved money to take an extended trip around the world.
Dream Destination?: Since I was a kid, I had always dreamed of traveling throughout Japan. I still have not been to Japan.
Favorite Food?: Ceviche, Argentinean Pizza and Steak, Sushi, and all around Thai and Chinese food. I’m a serious foodie and often travel to destinations for the sole purpose of eating their local cuisine.
Favorite Quote: ”A man is not where he lives but where he loves.” -Proverb
Have you seen my wife’s website yet? Twenty-Something Travel
What am I doing?
I’m a front-end web developer which has allowed me to travel and work from anywhere in the world.
How much did I spend?
Not much! On average I spent around $1,500USD per month backpacking. From May 2009 to April 2010, I spent roughly $19,500USD. As a minimalist, I didn’t really need much. I sold everything I owned before I left which helped a lot.
The money lasted for about a year because I found every possible bargain in all transportation, food, activities, etc. It does take some work but it all becomes natural where the better deal is.
- Travel Blog Success: A resource of information for those looking to start a travel blog or already have one. It’s for both beginners and experts. Launched in March, 2011.
- ForkFox: The best food tours & cooking classes all in one place.
- MichaelTieso.com: Personal portfolio site.
- Michael’s Personal Blog: My personal blog that is unrelated to travel and usually related to programming.
- Meet the Nomads: Michael Tieso
- Michael from “Art of Backpacking” Blog Talks on Teaching in China!
- Teaching English in China | Interview with Michael Tieso (Art of Backpacking)
- Who’s Out There Now? Michael
- BlogWorld LA 2011 – Taking Care of Business
- This Week in Travel – Episode 100
- Travel to Bolivia with Michael Tieso on Amateur Traveler Episode 313